Friday, January 16, 2009

Creamy Hot Chocolate


I just noticed I haven't posted a non-sweet recipe since November! Oh well, why stop now!

Today it was -17.5 degrees F when we woke up. I've lived here all my life but this weather is insane! We got out from under our blankets long enough tonight to make this hot chocolate though. This is my and Kay's favorite. I know butternut squash seems like a weird ingredient for hot chocolate but it is absolutely essential for the creaminess. We promise, you don't taste it at all. This recipe makes exactly 2 mugs. Perfect! (Bill won't even try it - he is very stubborn like that!)

Creamy Hot Chocolate
1 1/4 cups milk (we prefer almond milk)
1/2 cup pureed butternut squash (sweet potato also works)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon espresso powder (optional)
1/4 cup chocolate chips
Big spoonful of marshmallow fluff

Blend the milk, squash, cinnamon, cocoa powder, and espresso powder in a blender until smooth and well blended. Transfer the mixture to a small saucepan. Add the chocolate chips and heat over medium heat until it begins to bubble. Pour into mugs and top with marshmallow fluff.

Kay: It is AWESOME and you don't even taste the butternut squash. I could drink this for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Mom (Dana): Most of the sweetness comes from the fluff so if you decide not to use it, you'll need to add some other form of sweetener. Out of desperation, we've used caramel ice cream topping and that actually worked fine but it thickened it.

To make the puree, steam the butternut squash (or sweet potatoes) until very soft and then puree in a food processor or blender. Extra can be used in these honey puff pancakes!


9 comments:

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

Well I can honestly say I have never tasted a hot chocolate quite like that, but I can see how it would work as butternut squash is quite sweet and very creamy.

I think I will award you first prize for most original hot chocolate!

Champsleeve said...

Bill just gives us weird looks but it really is good!! But then again, I'll throw pureed butternut or sweet potatoes into just about anything.

-Dana

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

I wish we got the canned puree here, just for convenience. It would be a good standby.

Champsleeve said...

The only puree I've ever seen is pumpkin (I haven't looked very hard for it though). That would be a lot easier. Whenever I have little bits of vegetable left over, I steam, puree, and freeze it for these types of things.

Mickle in NZ said...

I like the idea of this - and a useful way for parents to smuggle veggies into vegetable resistant children.

My absolutely favourite way with squash and pumpkin is roasted.

Sarah R said...

Okay, this sounds insanely awesome! I can't wait to try it.

Champsleeve said...

Mickle - I love roasted squash too. I'm the only one who will eat it straight like that though, so I always have some to puree later.

Sarah - I hope you like it. The first time I made it, I didn't tell Kay about the squash until after she drank it. Now she actually asks for the "squash hot chocolate"!

-Dana

Mickle in NZ said...

Dana - belated Happy Birthday for the 21st. Yes, is warm here. Too warm tonight - 14 minutes left of Monday the 26th and is still about 22 degrees C.

All due to pack up tomorrow as school starts again after the Summer holidays. Wouldn't you know it!

Keep warm and cosy

Champsleeve said...

Thanks Mickle - It isn't even 22 degrees F here!