Saturday, September 13, 2008

Honey Puff Pancake

Like I've said before, we like to have breakfast foods for dinner. They are quick and easy and we usually have all the ingredients on hand even if it's been awhile since our last grocery trip. This is one of those recipes that we only have when Bill isn't going to be home because he doesn't like eggs. Kay loves this recipe so as soon as she heard that he was going to dinner with his cycling friends, she asked me to make it.



Honey Puff Pancake

3 tablespoons margarine or butter

6 eggs (I use a yolkless egg product similar as Egg Beaters)

3 oz cream cheese, softened (this was the first time using soy - didn't notice any difference)

1 cup milk (used rice milk)

3 tablespoons honey

1/2 cup mashed sweet potatoes or butternut squash (optional)

1 cup flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a 9 inch pie plate with 1 tablespoon butter. Place the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter into the pan and place it in the oven. Leave until the butter is completely melted.

In the meantime, place the eggs, cream cheese, milk, honey, sweet potatoes, flour, salt and baking powder in a blender. Puree until smooth.

Remove the pie plate from the oven and immediately pour the egg mixture into it. Bake 20-25 minutes or until puffed and golden. Serve with toppings such as maple syrup, honey, agave nectar, or powdered sugar.

Kay: This is really good. I like the smaller portions my mom made this time because then I wasn't tempted to eat too much.

Mom(Dana): This time I used ramekins instead of a pie plate. It worked just as well and I didn't have to adjust the time at all. I throw the pureed vegetables in to add a little extra nutrition when I have them on hand. It doesn't change the taste or texture at all.

No comments: