Thursday, March 20, 2008

Sweet and Spicy Vegetable Stir Fry


Poor, poor Kay. She has really bad teeth and today she started the whole orthodontist experience. They put in a PSA which is a spreader thing that is cemented into the top of her mouth. She is having a lot of trouble figuring out how to chew and swallow tonight. She just spent over an hour eating a small portion of plain noodles. So until she gets past this, she isn't going to have much to say about food. I've decided to take advantage of the situation and post the meals that Bill and I like and Kay gets the benefit of not having to try everything!

I usually go grocery shopping on the weekend so around this time in the week I have produce that is on it's last leg and really needs to be used immediately. We've all been busy this week so I've been making fast simple meals over the ones I had originally planned. Therefore, I have a lot of produce that needed to be used in one meal. Stir fry!


Sweet and Spicy Vegetable Stir Fry

In a large bowl, whisk together 1 cup vegetable broth and 1 tablespoon cornstarch. Add one block of firm tofu, cut into strips.

In bowl number 2 combine the following:
1 cup shredded carrots
1 red bell pepper, sliced
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
2 cups sugar snap peas

Bowl number 3:
2 cups bean sprouts
3-4 green onions, chopped

Bowl number 4:
1/4 cup hoisin sauce
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon grated ginger
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon red curry paste

With your wok on high, heat 2 tablespoons avocado oil (or peanut oil). When hot, add only the tofu to the wok (retain the broth for later). Spread the tofu into a single layer on the bottom of the wok and leave for 5 minutes. Do not stir! After 5 minutes, add 2-3 tablespoons of the broth and stir.

Add in bowl number two and stir fry for 2-3 minutes, until the onion is transparent.

Add in bowl number 3 and stir fry for and additional 2 minutes.

Add in bowl number 4 and the remaining broth. Stir fry until the sauce thickens.

Serve over noodles or rice.

Kay: I wish I could talk and eat normal!

Dana: I love hoisin sauce! This would work with just about any vegetables you have on hand. Put the firmer vegetables in bowl 2 and the softer ones into bowl 3.

2 comments:

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

Poor Kay! It will get better! But yummy stir fry and the sauce does look good! I haven't eaten yet. tummy rumbles~~~

Champsleeve said...

It doesn't really hurt much any more except when we turn the key to open my jaw. I can eat better now but I'm still having trouble saying s's.

-Kay