Thursday, October 4, 2007

Spinach and Corn Quesadilla


Sorry for the bad picture but I was a little too hungry to mess around with the camera! Tonight was a soccer practice which is always crazy. Now that it gets darker sooner, Kay has to leave for practice at 4:30 so we have a very small window for dinner. In my rushing around today I burnt our dinner. Great! I ended up throwing together French toast which we shoved down our throats before running out the door.

During practice I was looking through a cookbook that my friend loaned me. I wasn't very happy with the book overall but one of the recipes gave me the idea for these quesadillas. They were a perfect healthy snack for after practice.

Spinach and Corn Quesadilla

1/4 cup sliced onion
1 tsp olive oil
1 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 cup corn
6 oz baby spinach, sliced
1/2 cup cheese (any kind)
flour tortillas

Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-low heat. Add the onions and cook about 10 minutes until lightly browned. Add the garlic, chili powder, cumin, corn, and half the can of pinto beans. Cook for about 3 minutes until heated through. Add the spinach and cook an additional 3 minutes until slightly wilted.

Mash the remaining pinto beans.

Heat another skillet over medium heat. Place one tortilla in the skillet. Spread some of the mashed pinto beans on the tortilla. Top with some of the vegetable mixture and then enough cheese to hold it together. Place another tortilla on top.

Cook until the cheese begins to melt and the bottom tortilla is lightly browned. Flip it and continue cooking on the other side until heated through. Cut into wedges with a pizza cutter and then top with salsa.

Depending on how full you make them, this will make 2-3 quesadillas.

Kay: These tasted ok but they have onions in them which I don't like. Next time I want mine made without the onions.

Mom (Dana): The amounts in this recipe are based on the leftover corn and spinach that I had in the fridge. For dinner, it should be doubled. As far as the cheese goes, monterey jack is probably the best choice. We had a little wedge of Havarti, though, and that worked fine.

I tried to make the onions nice and sweet so Kay wouldn't notice. It didn't work! Next time I'll probably do the onions in a separate pan so she can have hers without. Spoiled!

No comments: