Monday, September 24, 2007

Apple Crisp



I'm hating our weather right now. Seriously, who wants 90 degrees and humid in September? We had a couple nice days just to tease us and then right back into this dreadful stuff again. If I wanted this, I'd move to Arizona or Texas or one of those other crazy hot places!

When we have normal fall weather, it is my favorite times of year and I have 4000 apple dessert recipes to prove it. This is our favorite though. I think it was originally from Vegetarian Times magazine but I've been making it for over 10 years so I'm not sure how much it resembles the original recipe. We've already had it twice thanks to a big bag of apples my parents brought us from our local apple orchard (the formerly charming and quaint local place that is now an overpriced commercial place).

Kay never likes this as much as we do but, to her credit, she tries it again every year just to make sure!

Apple Crisp

4 large apples cut in chunks

1 cup nuts, chopped (any combination)

1/2 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup flour

4 tablespoons chilled margarine cut in pieces

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

Put the apples in a 9 inch round baking dish. Dust with the cinnamon and nutmeg. Cover with foil and bake 20 minutes at 350 degrees.

In a food processor chop the nuts. Add the flour and sugar and process until combined. Add the margarine and pulse 8 to 10 times.

Sprinkle the topping over the apples and bake 30 minutes more. Serve warm.

Kay: I like the taste of the topping but I think the apples are too soft.

Dana (Mom): I use all different kinds of nuts in this but it is always at least half walnuts. Usually the other half is pecans but this year I've been using almonds and we are really liking it. I've used all walnuts before as well and that works fine.

The smell in your house is heavenly! It is almost worth making just for that!

No comments: