Sunday, July 26, 2009

Potato and Black Bean Quesadillas




Last night I was going to make either potato enchiladas or black bean and potato tacos (which I haven't posted yet but plan to) but we have both of those so often. It was much warmer yesterday and I didn't want to turn on the oven so I came up with something similar but in a quesadilla instead.

Bill had two races in Chicago today (see Flickr for pictures) and we must have walked 5 miles! I was so happy to have these leftovers at home!

Potato and Black Bean Quesadillas

2 pounds potatoes (about 4)
2 tablespoons vegetable broth
1 can chopped chilies
Juice of one lime
1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
3/4 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
tortillas

Cut the potato into chunks. Boil until soft and then mash along with the vegetable broth. When the potatoes are relatively smooth, add the chilies, chili powder, cumin, and garlic powder. Stir in the black beans.

Warm a lightly oiled skillet over medium heat. Place a tortilla in the pan and cover half of it with the potato mixture. Fold the tortilla in half. Cook about 3-4 minutes per side until nicely browned.

Serve with sour cream and salsa.

Kay: I thought these were a little spicy. I didn't see the salsa so I ate mine plain.

Dana (Mom): This made a lot of filling. I'm going to try freezing some of it to see how it holds up. You can use any kind of bean that you like or have on hand. If I had extra spinach in my refrigerator, I probably would have chopped that up and added it as well.

4 comments:

~Molly~ said...

These sound SOOOOO tasty!!! I love mashed potato sandwiches so they're right up my alley. Spinach sounds like a fab addition too!

Molly

Champsleeve said...

Last night when we had the leftovers, Bill said "these really are good". Whenever he offers unsolicited compliments two times then I know I have a winner!

I think this is another recipe where you could hide all kinds of vegetables without anyone knowing.

-Dana

Mickle in NZ said...

An "innards" for many things, what a great flavour base.

Super thanks, Dana, my dodgy innards can cope with this filling. But will be without cilantro - my taste buds just do not like it.

Never mind - I'll feast on Rocket and you on fresh cilantro/coriander. There is a way around most foody issues!

care and huggles, Mickle and Zebbycat

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

Yum, yum! Very delicious. I was going to say pass the leftovers this way, but I see you have polished them off :(