Monday, September 1, 2008

Tomatillo and Tomato Salsa

Today is Labor Day but we invited my parents over for a picnic yesterday so that we could sit around all day today and do nothing! My mom and I tried out several new recipes and we were happy with all of them. I hope to post most of them throughout this week. We'll see how that goes once our long weekend is over!

Today I'm starting with the salsa because it seemed to be everyone's favorite. I got tomatillos, basil, and approximately 9 million tomatoes in my CSA bag this week so this seemed like an obvious choice.

Here are some of the tomatoes I used.

Tomatillo and Tomato Salsa

2 tablespoons vegetable oil

1/2 pound tomatillos (remove husks and rinse under warm water)

4 large tomatoes

1 large onion

1 jalapeno chili (I used canned)

1/4 cup cilantro

Juice of one lime

Salt to taste

Finely chop the tomatillos, tomatoes, and onion. Combine in a bowl with the other ingredients. Place 1/2 the mixture in a processor and blend until smooth. Combine the blended salsa with the chopped salsa and stir. Refrigerate at least one hour to blend flavors.

Kayleigh: I thought this tasted OK but the tomatoes didn't taste the same as they do in the store salsa.

Mom (Dana): I thought this recipe made a lot but we only have a small container left. It is really fresh tasting (for obvious reasons). Don't worry - there's new zucchini and summer squash recipes to come as well!

2 comments:

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

It looks great, although I hadn't heard of tomatillos before.

Champsleeve said...

Holler,

They are little hard green tomato type things. This recipe would be good even without them. Just use extra tomatoes.

-Dana