Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Chocolate Chip Oat Bars


The movie is filming here through Wednesday but I don't know if we'll be back there since Kay and I both woke up with terrible colds this morning and it was snowing on my way to work! We might bundle ourselves up one more time though.




In the meantime, we are posting a recipe!! I happened to stumble across a show called "Zonya's Healthy Bites" last weekend and she made these cookies. They already had half the sugar and most of the fat removed so I didn't even have to adjust the recipe for once!




Chocolate Chip Oat Bars


2 cups whole wheat pastry flour


1 teaspoon baking powder


1 teaspoon baking soda


1 4-serving pack of instant vanilla pudding mix


4 egg whites


1 cup unsweetened applesauce


3/4 cup brown sugar


2 teaspoons vanilla


1 cup oats


1 cup chocolate chips




Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and pudding mix in a large bowl.




In a medium bowl, whisk egg whites, applesauce, brown sugar, and vanilla. Add to the dry ingredients and stir until just mixed. Stir in the oats and chocolate chips.




Spread into a greased 9x13 pan. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 25 minutes. Allow to cool and cut in squares.



Kay: I really liked this. We were watching a movie and I waited for mine to cool because then it tastes better. I had about three already.




Mom (Dana): These tasted best after sitting for a day, probably because the oats begin to soften. We made them a few days ago and they are holding up well.

No comments: