Sunday, September 2, 2007

Tacos


We love tacos and eat them at least once a month. Of course, because everything we do has to be difficult, I have to make three different kinds of tacos. Kay eats chicken, Bill eats beef, and I eat the vegetarian crumbles. We also like various different toppings so the kitchen is piled high by the time we are done with dinner!

We used to buy individual packets of taco seasoning. The problem we ran into was that Bill and I both liked a little more seasoning than what you get in a packet and Kay likes less so we always had partial packets floating around. We had found a large container of taco mix but it was too salty for us so we threw it away but kept the container and I made our own.

This recipe can be adjusted to add more or less of any of your favorite flavors.

Taco Seasoning
1 cup dried minced onion
1/3 cup chili powder
2 tablespoons cumin
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 tablespoon oregano
1 teaspoon cilantro
4 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons onion powder

Mix them all together and use about 1/4 cup per pound of "meat". Add water as needed to get desired sauciness.

Kay: I like chicken tacos very much. I put just cheese on mine.

Mom (Dana): I make myself summer tacos and winter tacos. My summer tacos get fresh tomatoes and avocado which, obviously aren't available in the winter. I was so disappointed last time we went shopping that the avocados in the store were complete mush so I had to eat a boring winter taco in August!

No comments: