Saturday, April 21, 2007

More new vegetables

Well since our first try at a new vegetable wasn't very successful, we decided to try 2 new recipes today. Both of these are directly from A Veggie Venture and I didn't really change anything so I will just link to the original recipes. I will show you pictures of our attempts though.

First, for lunch I made Chopped Salad with Sun-dried Tomato Dressing. It contained both jicama and mango which Kay had never tried. She liked both of them. The original recipe called for orange segments but I liked the suggestion of mango so we went for that instead. Kay made the dressing herself. She never passes up a chance to use the food processor! Here is what it looked like without the dressing on it.


Then with dinner, I made the Sugar Snap Peas with Lemon Butter. None of us had ever had sugar snap peas so this seemed like a good choice. Bill and I really liked them and they were really easy to make which was an added bonus. Kay claims she didn't like them but I noticed that she ate them without too much trouble. (Her friend was over at the time so I think she was putting on a bit of an act). Here is what they looked like with our fettuccine.

We were much much MUCH happier with these recipes than the celery!

Kay: I tried the salad and I really liked the jicama and the mango. I helped make the dressing but I don't like putting dressing on salads. My hamster tried the jicama and he really liked it. The sugar-snap peas did not have any flavor to me. I ate them anyway.

Mom (Dana): That salad was fantastic! Today was our first nice day in a while (it snowed last week during spring break) and these vegetables smelled like summer to me. Those sugar snap peas are a great side dish that I'm sure we will have again.

2 comments:

Alanna Kellogg said...

You guys are amazing!! You're being such good veggie evangelist that you've got the hamster eating jicama!

If Kay would like to do a guest post on A Veggie Venture, she'd be welcome!!

Champsleeve said...

Thanks for the offer. I would like do that over the summer.

-Kay